Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Splashing at Fountains

I watched as the kids played with glee while water spouted from the concrete ground.
It was one image that I definitely do not get to see a lot at home.
What with our concept of "init at lamig" or "basa at tuyo."
But not all Filipinos are afraid of playing in the rain, aren't they?
I am quite sure playing in the rain was one fond childhood memory I have, somewhere tucked in the recesses of my brain - which has forgotten some things.
I am certain, however, that people from the Philippines associate being wet in the rain with danger - necessitating a warm shower immediately after.
Are we afraid that the water is dirty? That it contains "germs?"

But we don't get to see kids from the Philippines playing in fountains. Our fountains are not meant to be interactive. Here, I think the water is definitely dirty.

Seeing the kids playing by the fountain, even if it is not something that I get to see at home, made me miss home.

No comments: