Saturday, October 21, 2006

Google Talk Glitch

My colleague and I had to do some work when our office internet suddenly decided not to run. We had to do an emergency run to the nearest 24 hour internet cafe downtown. We gave a little sigh because things were already running - we had all our web tools up - Pbwiki, gmail, yahoo messenger, msn messenger, and google talk. I didn't have to do urgent work and my colleague said it's ok to leave her there.

I decided to go back to the office and try to have the internet up again. We had left the wires and computers in disarray because the customer service representative from SMART (and it took them 30 minutes before picking up the phone) asked me to disconnect and connect some wires, etc., which I obediently did - but with no results (thus the run to town).
So I did go back to the office - put the wires back where they used to belong, arranged the computer paraphernalia very orderly around where they were situated on the table - pressed buttons and clicked icons and voila! We have internet running in our office again!
I informed the situation to my colleague and we agreed that she can come back after finishing some tasks. She said she'll also need to delete our files saved in the terminal she used and clear the internet cache. Security measures, so to speak - but things just didn't run as smoothly. First, although the files in the terminal were deleted, she realized later on that her flash disk was missing - and it was most probably left in the terminal where she was working. Isn't that ironic. She's taking it very well, actually - had it been me - I would have agonized to high heavens. Later on, one of our colleagues who was working on another location sent a message saying she was receiving strange messages from my first colleague's google talk/chat account. I said, "I am quite sure it's not coming from her, because she's right beside me now."

It took us some figuring out, and we literally experimented to prove our hypothesis - google talk does not sign out automatically when you sign in on another terminal. In fact, you can sign in one account in three different terminals and they would all be running (that was what happened to us). If you had one recipient for your messages that person would receive all the messages that are being sent from three terminals. My colleague had not been able to sign out of google talk from the terminal in the internet cafe. When our other colleauge sent a message to her, the next person who's working on the terminal would notice the message "bubbles" that appear when a message is received. The next person happened to be two rowdy boys who seemed to have enjoyed toying with the features of google talk -they sent voice mails (which were not very nice), interacted in the chat windows, received my voice call (I was hoping we could ask them to look for the flash drive and keep it so we can come back for it in the morning - but then, they said it was nowhere - although it's quite dubious if they are telling the truth) and we were supposed to be at work!

I thought that was stupid of google (yes, we have our responsibilities, yes) - but still, yahoo messenger did it better - because we're humans - we forget things. If I forgot to sign out of yahoo after I left a place, I could look for a PC where I am, sign in, which signs me out from the other terminal, and then sign out from where I am so I can sleep soundly at night because I'm certain no stranger is sending offensive messages to my friends from my account.
Anyway, I was finally able to tutor our new boy "friends" on how to sign out from the account. That was some glitch.

No comments: