Thursday, October 05, 2006

FIRST TIME IN EUROPE

092206
I read from somewhere that if you've been to Europe once, it is likely that you'll be able to visit it again.

Acutely aware of the doodad of a purchase that Superman did to fly me to the UK, I am nonetheless grateful.

I like going places. I like going places with someone even better. London and the parts of Britain I've been to were awesome. As I gaped at castles, cathedrals, works of art, I felt it was almost unfair that Europeans had things for thousands of years. There's always a sense of wonder for a certain location, the human achievement, the work of nature - and I remember places for feelings they evoke. Having traveled considerably, however, the sense of wonder becomes default - after a while places to me become familiar. The feelings blur and places as they are are just places. Streets are just streets and corners are just corners.

No comments: