Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Mobility



I've acquired a new routine these past few days. Previously I would take a "bechak" - the Indonesian counterpart for the Filipino "tricycle" -- that mode of transportation where a sidecar that makes up the passengers' seat is attached to a motorcyle. The bechak has a very different side car though because it has a foldable roof. When it's folded down, a passenger can be thrown straight forward when an accident happens because there are no barriers at the side and front. The tricylce is also primarily made up of metal and encases the passenger to allow some greater feeling of safety and at least three persons can sit inside.
Anyway, I take the bechak from the basar or market which is very near my neighborhood. I have taken to own that term now - "neighborhood" - just last night when I was walking home, I actually felt familiar enough with a stretch of the place to call it mine, although I thought it was sad that I did not get to have friends from the neighbors (meaning the other houses outside our compound) - which are not many because there's really not much of a stretch of houses in our place - and even if there are, the houses are either walled or empty. We have enough "neighbors" though who we're acquainted well enough with - our housemates who occupy the other rooms in our house, our landlady and her grand daughters, the guys from the photo studio beside us, and the guards, occupants and other employee's of Clark Kent's staff house just across the street. We usually go neighboring there.
Anyway, and this is my second anyway, I started riding the "labi-labi" - this time the Indonesian or maybe Aceh counterpart to the Filipino "jeepney" or more appropriately the Visayan "multi-cab."
I know I said anyway the second time already, which means that I should have a long one coming - but I need to start looking that I'm doing work... so I'll describe my new means of mobility.. up next.

Ciao. :)

No comments: