Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Mobility 2

So... anyway, like I said, I now take the labi - labi... which is also cheaper because a bechak ride costs me at least 7,000 Indonesian Rupiah (roughly equal to 40 Philippine Pesos)... and that's when I take the bechaks that park at the market place where the drivers already know me and know where I'm going. If I take a bechak across the street when the market bechak drivers are not around, I give them 7,000 Rupiah but they complain saying it costs 10,000. I insist on the price that the other drivers give me but end up feeling bad that I had to argue with the driver. There's a certain dilemma that comes with it and I could justify my actions with the sense of justice as a rationale --- first I know that I can go ahead and give the Rp 3,000 difference and save both me and the driver the trouble of getting into an argument, on the other hand, it would not be fair to the honest bechak drivers who bring me to the same place and from a farther origin at a lesser price. Add to that, the labi - labi costs me only Rp 2000! (And that applies to the whole ride no matter how far you came from) Although if I take the labi - labi I can only go as far as the stretch of the main road... because I do not know which labi - labi goes along the exact route where I'm supposed to go.
It’s fine though because I get to walk. And that’s what I have been doing. I take the labi – labi, get down at the end of the main road where I cross a rotonda and take a ten minute walk to the office. It’s a good thing I do not pass too many people during the morning when I walk because a woman in shades does not seem to be a familiar sight – men, especially, seem to have that instinctive reaction to say “Hallo!” – and repeatedly even if you ignore them. I’ve started not to give it much notice. I have also started to listen to Stephen Covey on an mp3 player as I walk and that gives me another thing to concentrate on apart from minding the vehicles when I have to cross the road.
However, this routine would have to be short lived as this is my last week. It’s not so bad though... I’ve found a quiet stretch of a neighborhood street that I like; I walk with less fear, intimidation or indignance; I used more than two types of public transport system! This last one is a highlight... I think I associate my familiarity with a place when I have already figured out how to get around using the public transport system. At least, I got around.
Have a nice commute.. wherever you’re going. J

No comments: