Sunday, September 27, 2009

News of Manila in Bangkok

"There's a typhoon now. Floods all over this am. But seems to be fading."  Got that as a text message, and just took note of it. Because the day was far from done, there was more to talk about, by this group of around a hundred indigenous peoples all over the world. I do not think the arguments became much hotter than the warmth of the Bangkok sun, and as I strained to listen, I was more concerned with those 34 pieces of translation equipment that my colleage and I issued to the participants. I had a lot on my mind. Including, how to get all of them back.

At the end of the day, in the restaurant, we finally had a chance to talk about the flooding in Manila, but we became engrossed on the bouquet of greens that was brought to our table - which happened to be my dinner.

The following day, the flooding in Metro Manila was all over the news. I finally got the details of the situation from the Bangkok Post paper that I picked up from the hotel. It did look bad. It looked even worse when I was finally able to view videos of the flooding.

Now, as the talks on climate change start here in Bangkok, many of the speakers, representatives of the different countries who are here to negotiate on what to do with the changing climate,  have already expressed their sympathy for the disaster that has befallen the Philippines.

It feels strange being a recipient of these sympathies, and having to respond to people from other countries asking what the situation in the Philippines is now, when I have also been merely a spectator of the news that has come.

I feel that things are okay, because I have contacted family and they have assured me of their safety. But I know it is not, because when I watched TV this morning, the Metro Manila flooding is still in the news.  "Worst flood in 20 years. " "A month's worth of rain, in a day."  Tell me this is not climate change?

No comments: